Seven out of ten customers do abandon their shopping carts after adding products to it!
Abandoned cart holds potential revenue in a dormant state. And you have to take the initiative and necessary steps to convert the dormant revenue into active ones.
According to Marketing peers suggestions
One of the promising places where you can start marketing is where cart abandonment happens. And one of the great clients to whom you can start marketing are those who abandon shopping carts.
Now comes the question, “Why people add products to their cart and why abandon the same? And how do we recover abandoned carts?”
Now, let us discuss the abandoned cart recovery process and what makes it successful. The need to emphasize on factors like the perfect abandoned cart email series, abandoned cart email template for Shopify and much more in an elaborate manner.
Table of Contents
- What is an abandoned cart?
- What are the reasons for cart abandonment?
- What is an abandoned cart recovery email?
- Why is it necessary to send abandoned cart emails?
- Why is it necessary to send a series of abandoned cart emails for your Shopify store?
- How many abandoned cart recovery emails should I send?
Imagine you are running an online Shopify store. Your customers are actively adding products to their carts but they don’t end up buying them. They just leave it in the Shopify cart and it gets the name ‘abandoned cart’.
Shopping cart with products selected for buying, but not yet checked out is an abandoned cart.
- Expecting discounts, free shipping, gifts, add-ons, coupons
- Thinking about buying it later
- Would not like to miss out on the product
- Interested in similar products
- An error in the website or payment gateway
- Security concerns related to payment and data
- Hassle in return
- Forgetting what they wanted to buy
There can still be more reasons but we need to prioritize and address the most obvious ones.
The first reason highlighted is the most important one. Trying to work on it can yield great results.
The first reason is all about cutting the product cost by offering discounts but before doing that you should send an abandoned cart email reminder for your Shopify customers. What if in case it works?!
Surprising your customers with offers and coupons can give you promising results.
So let’s figure out how to convert abandoned cart email reminders with attractive content that gets clicked and generates revenue.
You have abandoned carts in your Shopify store that you intend to recover. For this, you must send abandoned cart emails.
A reminder sent to motivate customers to check out products in their carts is an abandoned cart recovery email.
While setting up your cart recovery email series for Shopify store, do not stop with just one abandoned cart email. Send a series of 3 to 5 emails at regular intervals, thereby reminding your customers time and again to finish the buy. Make sure that you do not spam them with a lot of abandoned cart emails and waste the hidden potential to spike conversions.
The first email - after one hour of cart abandonment
The second email - on the next day of cart abandonment
The third email - two days post cart abandonment
The fourth email- after five days of cart abandonment
The fifth email - after a week of cart abandonment
While you send a series of Shopify abandoned cart emails, consider the following aspects.
- Email content
- The time gap between one email and the next
- Total number of abandoned cart emails
- The product image or video if any
- Exact product info
- Adding details about the product demand
Social proofs / Social media links
- Stock availability
- Current offers available for the product
- Offers available for the next purchase
“Content is the king.”
No matter what exciting offers you provide. No matter what strategy you use for marketing. One bad abandoned cart email can ruin everything. So do pay attention to what you write in your cart recovery email for Shopify.
Convey everything that you want with the best Shopify cart recovery email template. Concentrate on the placement and the number of occurrences of Call-To-Action(CTA). Do not provide too much as well as too few CTAs. Keep the content crisp yet informative and stick to an abandoned cart email design that attracts.
Make sure you provide single-click buttons in the email that link to the abandoned cart, landing page, website or a video in your Shopify store. Furthermore, always provide CTA as a bold single click option.
See to that the following factors are covered in your cart recovery email series.
- Brand value
Sending day: A few hours post cart abandonment or on the day of cart abandonment.
The above example is just a Reminder?
So the above abandoned cart email is just a reminder for cart recovery. Is that enough?
Did you know? Just a notification or a reminder could do wonders by recovering your Shopify abandoned carts. So never miss out on this “just notify” part of abandoned cart recovery emails.
Mention the customer name and product name in both the subject line and abandoned cart email content. Also, include the product image and provide the CTA link either on the right side or below the product image.
An abandoned cart recovery email series is certainly a set of reminder emails. They can be specially designed for increased abandoned cart recovery. But when you start sending abandoned cart emails on the same day or a few hours post abandonment, dedicate an email just to remind your customer about the abandoned product without any offer.
If that works out, there is no need for further abandoned cart emails, as reminder emails are programmed to stop immediately once the customer converts. You can also track the performances of simple reminder emails over other addons and strategies used for cart recovery.
Sending day: On the 2nd day of cart abandonment.
Here in the above abandoned cart email, do you notice anything signifying brand value?
“JCREW” the name of the brand is mentioned in a crystal clear fashion. Adding the brand name to Shopify cart recovery email template makes it familiar with the customer and it is the first step towards establishing brand value. Further, links to its social media posts and pages can be added to make people follow and interact.
Establish Brand value
No matter how big or small, develop your brand value. Recognition and trust developed through brand is the greatest asset for a company. Approximately 59% of customers would prefer to buy products from familiar brands. Leverage Shopify abandoned cart email to make your brand familiar with your audience base.
Rules to follow for brand development
- Identify your target audience
- Establish your brand and make the name and icon visible
- Bring in social proof using social media. There will be impacts based on factors like who says it and how many are saying it.
- Research on brands of your similar niche
- Convince over competition
- Give an outline of the key benefits you provide
- Never forget to include Shopify abandoned cart link using a Call-To-Action
Sending day: 2-3 days post cart abandonment.
Here in the above abandoned cart email template for Shopify, there is a mention about stock availability
The number of Shopify abandoned cart products left imply product scarcity. That product being selected by other customers denotes product demand. Moreover, when one sees a bold text indicating cart availability for checkout in spite of the product demand, it will considerably increase the scope of the customer buying it.
“Rarity makes gold to be valued as gold.”
Imagine a scenario where gold is available wherever you dig. Will it be costly or valuable as it is today?
Similarly, you have to make your product appear valuable in abandoned cart emails so that customers do not want to miss it when available.
Address cart abandonment recovery email issues for Shopify by including scarcity marketing strategies like the following.
- Give updates about the number of products available in stock.
- How many customers have bought it so far?
- How many customers have shown interest in that product and are willing to buy the same?
Sending day: 4-7 days post cart abandonment.
Offer is the highlight in the above Shopify cart recovery email template.
The text indicating the offer value is mentioned very boldly and the entire focus of the abandoned cart email content shifts towards it. A randomly generated coupon code is also mentioned. This can be used once and gets applied to the abandoned cart of Shopify store directly. This signifies that the code need not be copy-pasted by the customer during checkout.
Discounts are delightful if you plan to shop. A price-drop is sometimes the only reason why you need to shop.
You can expect loyalty only if you incentivize your customers via Shopify best abandoned cart emails.
Using discounts and coupons you can motivate customers to purchase repeatedly at your store. Start building your customer base with the help of discounts.
Types of discount to use in Shopify abandoned cart email
- Free shipping
- Percentage discount
- Flat discount
- Next order coupons/discount
Efficiently decide how to dispense discounts.
- Set the value for abandoned cart email discount
- Avoid giving multiple discounts depreciating the product value
- If in case you do not want to give a discount for a particular product you can promise them with a discount for their next purchase
- Set up free delivery and high discounts only for higher cart values
Sending day: after 1 week of cart abandonment.
Noticed the timer in the above Shopify cart recovery email template?
Adding validity to the offer speeds up cart recovery rates. Mention the countdown, both in the subject and body of the abandoned cart email along with the coupon code. The number of buyers will tremendously increase during this limited offer period.
Did you know?
Food products and groceries face the least abandonment rates.
You know why?
They have dire necessity and mostly needed on an urgent basis.
But when it comes to luxury items, customers do not feel that the product is urgently required. So buying gets procrastinated and this results in high abandoned cart rates for Shopify stores.
Urgency marketing tactics avoid procrastination in buying. An urge has to be created to get things done. So try to convince your customers that this is the right time to buy by triggering FOMO in abandoned cart emails. Basically, the “Fear Of Missing Out” strategy will motivate customers to check out abandoned carts sooner.
Summing up on abandoned cart email series, never compromise on the content and design. In specific emails where there is a focus on addons like a discount, do not fail to include essential elements like CTA, product image, social media links, and other important contents. Customize the abandoned cart email for your Shopify store.
As a final piece of advice, here are simple rules to excel in abandoned cart recovery using email for Shopify stores.
- First email (1 hour after abandonment): Keep this very simple with just a reminder. No addons.
- Second email (Second-day post abandonment): Abandoned checkout email for Shopify that highlights brand value using ‘social proof’. Make customers notice your brand, gain some trust & interest.
- Third email (after 2 days of abandonment): Email for abandoned cart with emphasis on the scarcity by letting customers know about the stock availability.
- Fourth email (Five days post abandonment): Shopify abandoned cart email with a surprise like discounts or coupons.
- Fifth email (a week after cart abandonment): Abandoned cart recovery email with a FOMO factor triggering customers to checkout as soon as possible.
A shopping cart with products that has not been checked out in a Shopify store is called Shopify abandoned cart. These carts can be recovered easily with effective use of abandoned cart emails and exit intent popups.
Some of the reasons for Shopify cart abandonment are:
- No free shipping and discounts
- Lengthy and confusing checkout
- Unexpected hidden costs like shipping and taxes
- Mandatory signup
- Payment security concern
- Just browsing
- Unsatisfactory return policy
- Slow website
- Absence of trust badges
Strategies to use in your Shopify abandoned cart emails are
- Craft an intriguing subject line
- Use a catchy email header
- Get creative with an engaging copy
- Present the product image
- Opt for bold Call-To-Action
- Bring in verified social proof
- Use countdown timer to instill FOMO
- Highlight discounts and free shipping
Here are some tips for Shopify abandoned cart subject lines
- Personalize with the customer name
- Mention the discount upfront
- Use numbers and emojis to gain attention
- Make it clear that there is hardly any time left
- Ask a question
- Keep it short
Email 1 - Reminder
Email 2 - Brand Value with social proof
Email 3 - Product scarcity
Email 4 - Discounts
Email 5 - FOMO
- Click on ‘Add Email’ in the email templates tab of Retainful.
- Mention subject line and the time to send the email.
- Create abandoned cart email template and save.
- Repeat the process again by clicking on ‘Add Email’.
In this way, a Shopify abandoned cart email sequence consisting of any number of emails can be set up.
With Retainful, abandoned cart email campaigns can be tracked by just viewing the dashboard analytics. The dashboard shows details of all the cart recovery email sequences in order. Moreover, it also indicates the email responsible for conversion when one happens.
It is suggested to send 3 to 5 abandoned cart emails as part of your cart recovery campaign. All of the emails must be automated to be sent at regular intervals when an abandoned cart for Shopify store is detected.