Shopify abandoned carts have been a major issue for stores for quite some time. With a Shopify cart abandonment rate of 69.82%, it impacts sales more than anything.
Shopify cart abandonment occurs suddenly, and you cannot predict it. But you can easily recover your abandoned carts by sending cart recovery emails at specified intervals.
Before you start with Shopify cart abandonment recovery to convert lost sales, you need to know how to view Shopify abandoned carts and their revenues. Knowing this will help you enhance your cart recovery campaign.
To do that, you need a cart recovery plugin. Dive into this article to find out how to check Shopify abandoned carts using a Shopify cart recovery plugin and how to reduce Shopify cart abandonment.
69% of shoppers abandon their carts before checking out. Create an abandoned cart email campaign with Retainful in minutes using our pre-built email workflows.
What is a Shopify abandoned cart?
Customers visit your store with an intent to purchase, they start adding products to their carts but for some reason, they abandon it. Now, this cart is called a Shopify abandoned cart.
There are many reasons contributing to a Shopify abandoned cart, a major one is high additional costs. They can be minimized by using recovery plugins or by using exit-intent popups etc.
How do I find my cart abandonment rate on Shopify?
Shopify cart abandonments is the measure of customers who added items to their cart but then abandoned it without completing the purchase.
Calculating Shopify cart abandonment rates is simple, just divide the total volume of completed purchases by the number of carts created, subtract it by 1, and then multiple it by 100.
For example, if 50 is the number of total completed purchases and 150 carts have been created, then the Shopify cart abandonment rate will be 77.5%.
1 – (50 / 150) x 100 = 66.6%
Why do people abandon Shopify carts?
One question that store owners always ask is why Shopify carts are abandoned.
So, some of the main reasons for Shopify cart abandonment are:
- Additional Costs like Shipping, delivery costs, etc.
- Asking customers to create an account to purchase.
- Customers may be conducting product research.
- Customers might feel paranoid about payment gateway.
- Longs and exhausting Shopify abandoned checkout.
- Customers were expecting a coupon code.
- No options for express shipping.
- Your website might have some internal issues.
- Your Shopify store’s return policy isn’t exciting.
- Limited payment options.
Are you wondering why your Shopify cart abandonment rate is high? One of these reasons might be the one impacting your customer’s purchase decision.
Can you see Abandoned carts on Shopify?
Yes, you can see Abandoned carts from the Shopify admin page. Just navigate to Orders then click Abandoned Checkouts to check abandoned carts.
You can also set up and send abandoned cart emails from Shopify, but it has many limitations.
The best way to track/see abandoned checkouts and send cart recovery emails is by installing an Automated Abandoned Cart recovery plugin in your Shopify store.
Retainful is one such Automated Abandoned Cart recovery plugin that can help you easily see abandoned checkouts and send cart recovery emails to recover abandoned carts.
How do I stop cart abandonment on Shopify?
Shopify cart abandonment rates have reached 69.57% across all stores. Business owners have been looking for ways to stop customers from abandoning their carts.
The problem is that it is hard to find a way to stop Shopify cart abandonment.
We listed reasons for every customer & store. So, finding an exact solution to stop Shopify cart abandonment is hard, and there are a few ways to minimize it.
But you can use a Shopify cart recovery plugin to recover abandoned cars & convert them into sales.
How to check Shopify abandoned carts?
To view Shopify abandoned carts, you must install Retainful in your store.
1. Installing Retainful
Installing Retainful in your Shopify store is pretty easy,
- Navigate to the Shopify Appstore.
- Click ‘Log in’ at the top right corner.
3. Now enter your store’s URL and click ‘Login.’
4. Once you’re logged in, search for ‘Retainful.’
5. This search will show a list of plugins, select and click ‘Retainful’ from the list.
6. The retainful page will prompt you to select ‘Add app.’
7. Now you’ll be redirected to your store. To install the Retainful app in your store, click ‘Install app.’
8. After clicking the ‘Install app,’ you’ll be prompted with a Retainful dialog box asking you to enter a password to create an account.
9. Once you’ve entered your password, your account will be created, and you’ll be redirected to the Retainful dashboard.
10. Retainful app has been installed in your store. Now you can start creating cart recovery campaigns and minimize Shopify abandoned carts.
Now you know installing Retainful in your Shopify store is easy. The first thing you’ll see on Retainful is the dashboard, and this is how to view Shopify abandoned carts in Retainful.
Automatically send a series of abandoned cart recovery emails at well-timed intervals with Retainful. Don’t stop with just one email.
2. Setting up cart recovery plugin
Once you’ve installed Retainful, there are some pre-requisite settings that need to be tweaked before you start creating your first Shopify abandoned cart campaign.
- Navigate to the ‘Settings’ in your Retainful dashboard.
- Scroll down to the ‘Abandoned Carts’ section.
Under ‘Abandoned carts,’ there are some parameters to be defined,When to consider a cart abandoned?
1. When to consider a cart abandoned?
Here you can select the time in minutes(10, 35, 40, 60). If you select 15 minutes, Retainful will wait 15 minutes for a customer to purchase. If the cart is not completed successfully, it will be considered abandoned.
Example: A customer adds an item to his cart at 10:00 am. If he did not complete it by 10:15, the cart would be considered abandoned.
Once the cart’s status is abandoned, it will initiate a recovery email sequence.
2. Should the store admin be notified when the cart is recovered?
So, if you want to receive notification of the recovered cart, select ‘Yes’ or else select ‘No.’ Recommended: Yes.
3. Do you want to handle duplicate carts automatically?
If the same person abandons multiple carts with the same items, the same email address from the same IP address, only one of them will be considered for email sequence, and the rest will be marked as duplicates.
Recommended setting: YES
4. Mention the time duration for when these duplicate carts should be reconsidered?
The maximum time to consider a cart duplicate from the same person, same email address from the same IP address. The default value is 24 hours.
Once you’ve selected the suitable settings, click ‘Save.’
Once you’ve defined all of these settings, you can start creating your Shopify abandoned cart campaign.
As we are here just to see Abandoned Checkouts, we’ll right away show you how to check abandoned carts. Once you have checked it, you can start creating an automated abandoned
3. Checking abandoned carts
Checking Shopify abandoned carts with Retainful is easier because Retainful offers one of the most simple dashboards with stellar data.
As soon as you log in to the Retainful dashboard, you can see the Abandoned cart details displayed right in front of you.
But if you want to see the full details of your Shopify Abandoned Checkouts.
All you have to do is,
- Click on the “Metrics & Cart Activity” from the Retainful menu.
- Under ‘Cart Activity,’ you can find the complete details.
It has a Filter by a section where you can toggle between Live cart, Abandoned cart & Recovered cart. You can search for details using various options.
You can find the list of Shopify abandoned cart details along with the date of abandonment, the customer’s name, and the abandoned cart’s value.
Retainful will assign a custom cart ID for the abandoned cart automatically.
You can even check the number of recovered carts and the number of live carts by toggling the different available filter options.
How to reduce Shopify cart abandonment?
We have seen how to set up the plugin and check Shopify abandoned carts. Yes, Retainful is the best plugin that can recover your abandoned carts, but there are other ways to reduce Shopify cart abandonment.
Yes, there are some major ways with which you can minimize Shopify abandoned cart.
- Make use of exit-intent popups to prevent customers from leaving.
- Make your checkout process lightning fast.
- Remove surprising additional costs.
- Propose a customer-friendly return policy.
- Keep your carts visible.
- Enable guest checkout, say no to mandatory ‘sign-up.’
- Showcase trust signals and security badges.
- Optimize your website for all devices.
- Offer Next order coupons to encourage customers.
These are some of the ways using which you can minimize Shopify cart abandonment rates.
Launch your abandoned cart recovery email campaign hassle-free with Retainful and win back your lost sales.
Abandoned carts will impact your sales, but with the right plugin, you can recover your carts at Shopify abandoned checkouts and convert them into sales.
This article has shown you how to check Shopify abandoned carts using a cart recovery plugin. You got to know why people abandon carts and how you can calculate Shopify cart abandonment rates.
Now you know how to view Shopify abandoned carts, click here to check out how you can recover abandoned checkouts & convert them to sales.
To find abandoned carts, Install and log in to Retainful. Navigate to the dashboard, where you can see the number of abandoned carts and abandoned revenue. With this detail, you can initiate your cart recovery campaign.
Optimize your checkout process, provide multiple payment options, offer discounts, and include social proof. Or you can simply use a cart recovery plugin like Retainul to recover abandoned carts and convert them to revenue.
Yes, Retainful has a free version available. To use the latest features like popups, we suggest you upgrade to premium.
Retainful lets you add dynamic coupon codes to your abandoned cart emails to encourage customers.
By default, Retainful has three emails in its cart recovery campaign, but the choice is yours. You can add unlimited emails to your campaign.
And yes, Retainful has pre-built email templates to help you get started quickly.