Shopify abandoned carts have been a major issue for Shopify stores for quite some time. With a cart abandonment rate of 67.71%, it impacts stores sales more than anything.
Cart abandonment is spontaneous, you might not know when it happens. But with the right plugin, you can track abandoned carts.
Shopify is a popular eCommerce platform, the thing that makes it distinct is the ecosystem of plugins it has in its repository.
In this article, we’ll show you how to check Shopify abandoned carts using a dynamic Shopify plugin. This plugin can track and recover Shopify abandoned carts and convert them into sales.
Table of Contents
What is a Shopify abandoned cart?
Customers visit your store with an intent to purchase, they start adding products to their carts but for some reason, they abandon it. Now, this cart is called a Shopify abandoned cart.
There are many reasons contributing to a Shopify abandoned cart, a major one is high additional costs. They can be minimized by using recovery plugins or by using exit-intent popups etc.
What are the reasons for a Shopify abandoned cart?
As we said earlier, Shopify abandoned carts are spontaneous, it is hard to narrow down the reasons. But without figuring out why customers abandon their cart, you cannot minimize cart abandonment.
So, we’ve bought you some of the main reasons for cart abandonment.
- Additional Costs like Shipping, delivery costs, etc.
- Asking customers to create an account to purchase.
- Customers may be conducting product research.
- Customers might feel paranoid about payment gateway.
- Longs and exhausting Shopify abandoned checkout.
- Customers were expecting a coupon code.
- No options for express shipping.
- Your website might have some internal issues.
- Your Shopify store’s return policy isn’t exciting.
- Limited payment options.
These are some of the main reasons contributing to Shopify abandoned carts.
How to check Shopify abandoned carts?
1. Installing Retainful
Installing Retainful in your Shopify store is pretty easy,
- Navigate to the Shopify Appstore.
- Click ‘Log in’ at the top right corner.
- Now enter your store’s URL and click ‘Login’
4. Once you’re logged in, search for ‘Retainful’..
5. This search will show a list of plugins, select and click ‘Retainful’ from the list.
6. Retainful page will be prompted, select ‘Add app’
7. Now you’ll be redirected to your store. To install Retainful app in your store, click ‘Install app’
8. After clicking the ‘Install app’, you’ll be prompted with a Retainful dialog box asking you to enter a password to create an account.
Once you’ve entered your password, your account will be created and you’ll be redirected to Retainful dashboard.
10. Retainful app has been installed in your store, now you can start creating cart recovery campaigns and minimize Shopify abandoned carts.
As said earlier, this is how easy it is to install Retainful to your Shopify store.
2. Setting up cart recovery plugin
Once you’ve installed Retainful, there are some pre-requisite settings that need to be tweaked before you start creating your first Shopify abandoned cart campaign.
- Navigate to the ‘Settings’ in your Retainful dashboard.
- Scroll down to the ‘Abandoned Carts’ section.
Under ‘Abandoned carts’, there are some parameters to be defined,
- When to consider a cart as abandoned?
Here you can select the time in minutes(10, 35, 40, 60), if you select 15 minutes, Retainful will wait 15 minutes for a customer to purchase. If the cart is not completed successfully, then it will be considered abandoned.
Example: A customer adds an item to his cart at 10:00 am. If he did not complete it by 10:15, then the cart will be considered as abandoned.
Once the cart’s status is abandoned, it will initiate a recovery email sequence.
- Should the store admin be notified when the cart is recovered?
So, if you want to receive notification of the recovered cart select ‘Yes’ or else select ‘No’. Recommended: Yes.
- Do you want to handle duplicate carts automatically?
If the same person abandons multiple carts with the same items, the same email address from the same IP address, only one of them will be considered for email sequence. The rest will be marked as duplicate.
Recommended setting: YES
- Mention the time duration for when these duplicate carts should be reconsidered?
The maximum time to consider a cart duplicate from the same person, same email address from the same IP address. The default value is 24 hours.
Once you’ve selected the suitable settings, click ‘Save’
Once you’ve defined all of these settings you can start creating your Shopify abandoned cart campaign.
3. Checking abandoned carts
Checking Shopify abandoned carts with Retainful is easier. Because Retainful offers one of the most simple dashboards with stellar data.
All you have to do is,
- Click on the “Carts” from the Retainful.
- Toggle to “Abandoned Carts” in the “Filter By” section.
You can find the list of Shopify abandoned cart details along with the date of abandonment, the customer’s name, and the abandoned cart’s value.
Retainful will assign a custom cart ID for the abandoned cart automatically.
You can even check the number of recovered carts and the number of live carts by toggling the different filter options that are available.
How to reduce cart abandonment?
We have seen how to set up the plugin and check Shopify abandoned carts. Yes, Retainful is the best plugin that can recover your abandoned carts but are there some other ways that can reduce cart abandonment.
Yes, there are some major ways with which you can minimize Shopify abandoned cart.
- Make use of exit-intent popups to prevent customers from leaving.
- Make your checkout process lightning fast.
- Remove surprising additional costs.
- Propose a customer-friendly return policy.
- Keep your carts visible.
- Enable guest checkout, say no to mandatory ‘sign-up’.
- Showcase trust signals and security badges.
- Optimize your website for all devices.
- Offer Next order coupons to encourage customers.
These are some of the ways using which you can minimize Shopify abandoned carts.
Abandoned carts will impact your sales, but with the right plugin, you can recover your carts at Shopify abandoned checkout and convert them into sales. This article has shown you how to check Shopify abandoned carts using a cart recovery plugin like Retainful, through which you can also create a Referral program and offer Next order coupons.
Install it and start recovering your abandoned carts.