Cart abandonment is one of the bigger challenges faced by eCommerce stores. What makes it more challenging is not knowing how many carts have been abandoned. Let's learn how to find the abandoned carts and recover them in your WooCommerce store.
What is cart abandonment?
About 70% of the shoppers abandoned their carts, according to research firm Baymard Institute. People visit your online store, browse through various product categories, add products to the cart but most of them leave the site without buying. That is called cart abandonment.
Why people abandon cart?
People abandoned their carts for a variety of reasons. Understanding why customers abandon cart can put you forward in knowing how to reduce it.
Following are some of the most common reasons for people abandoning your online cart:
- Unexpected shipping cost and additional taxes or fees
- Asking to create a New user account
- People just checking your online store
- No coupons and discounts available
- No transparent privacy and return policy
- Complex payment gateway or less payment choices.
How to Check Abandoned Carts in WooCommerce?
To check the carts that are being abandoned, you’ll be needing a tool that’s robust, reliable and completely yours. An App like Retainful could be doing the job.
Retainful comes with power-packed features and allows you to check abandoned carts in real-time. And also the number of recovered carts and live carts in your store. There’s a whole lot of other things you can do with Retainful. For now, we’ll get to the point.,
Steps to Check WooCommerce shopping cart abandonment
Install & Activate Retainful
- Download Retainful
- Install and Active the Retainful Plugin.
The installation process takes no more than two minutes.
Setting up Retainful
Once installed, you should be deciding as to when a cart should be considered as abandoned. Because you don’t want to create chaos among customers who haven’t actually abandoned their carts right? So,
- Go to the Settings tab and scroll down to the ‘Abandoned Carts’ section. And set the time limit as to when a cart should be considered as abandoned.
- You can also choose whether you should get a notification when a cart is recovered or not.
- Mark duplicate carts if need be and also set the time limit as to when a cart should be marked duplicate.
- And then, click the Save button.
You’ve now set specific criteria as to when a cart should be considered abandoned.
Now, the next step,
Checking abandoned carts with Retainful
Checking abandoned carts with Retainful is easier than said. Because Retainful offers one of the most simple and clean dashboards with stellar data.
All you have to do is,
- Click on the “Carts” section from the Retainful menu.
- Toggle to “Abandoned Carts” in the “Filter By” section.
- You can find the list of abandoned cart details along with the date of abandonment, the customer’s name, and the abandoned cart’s value. Retainful automatically assigns a custom cart ID for the abandoned cart.
You can even check the number of recovered carts and the number of live carts by selecting from the different filter options that are available.
Recover Abandoned Carts
With Retainful, it’s not just about knowing the number of carts that are abandoned. You can even recover them by sending automated abandoned cart recovery emails (we’ve given the total abandoned cart value in the dashboard for enough motivation). Sending well-timed crafted cart recovery emails can help you recover more abandoned carts. Here’s an example
- Send the 1st cart email 1 hour after the customer abandons the cart.
- The second email goes 3 hours after the cart is left abandoned.
- The third, 1 day after abandonment.
- And the final email, 2 days after the cart is being abandoned.
You can stop sending emails anywhere in between once your cart is recovered (with Retainful, everything is automated. You just have to set it and forget it). Here’s a step by step guide to create abandoned cart recovery email reminders with Retainful.
So, that’s pretty much about how to check abandoned carts in WooCommerce. It’s easy and quick. The clean dashboard gives you enough information about your WooCommerce that helps you make informed decisions which directly reflect on your store’s growth!
So, know what’s happening in your store and start recovering abandoned carts while it’s not too late!