Sending emails from your shop’s domain not only looks more professional but it also helps build trust and improve your email deliverability.
Setting up a custom email domain in Retainful ensures that all email is delivered from your domain, which removes the “via retainful.net” from the emails and uses “yourdomain.com” on the recovery email notifications.
In order to send emails from your shop’s domain, you will need to add few DNS records wherever your domain is hosted(GoDaddy, HostGator, SiteGround and so on). This topic is a bit technical but the process is rather simple.
In this article, let us see how to add a custom domain from which the abandoned cart emails are to be sent.
NOTE: Setting up a custom domain is not mandatory. If you are fine with default mail settings, you can still use that itself.
To set up a custom domain, follow the below process:
The first step is to add the shop’s domain on the Retainful account and generate the DNS records. To do this:
- Login to Retainful dashboard. Click on Settings tab.
- Scroll to the Advanced settings tab.
- In the Custom Email domain section, mention the shop’s domain on the Domain field and click Save.
- Once you click on save, a success message appears with the DNS records like this:
- Three records would be generated- 1 of the type CNAME and 2 of the type TXT. These records have to be added to the hosting account’s DNS records page.
Below are general instructions for adding/editing DNS records with that will work for most domain hosts. We would be coming up with a more detailed documentation on how to add those records on specific hosts. Following are the steps:
- Login to your hosting provider account.
- Go to your domain’s DNS records page, often called as DNS Management, Name Server Management.
- Select the option to add a new record.
- Adding the TXT records -Select TXT for record type.
- In the Value/Answer/Destination field, paste the Value/Alias To copied from Retainful settings page. The value to be copied is indicated in red in the below screenshot:
- Save the record.
- Repeat the same process(steps 3 through 7 for the second TXT record as well).
- Adding the CNAME record- Select the option add a new record. Select CNAME for the record type.
- In the Host/Alias/Name field, paste the Host/Name entry copied from the Retainful settings page. The name entry to be copied is indicated in the below screenshot:
- In the Value/Answer/Destination field, paste the Value/Alias To copied from Retainful settings page and save the record. The value to be copied is indicated in red in the below screenshot:
Post adding the DNS records, you will have to verify to ensure that the records are added properly. Verification has to be done at the Retainful Custom Email Domain settings section.
Note: DNS can take upto 48 hours max to update. You might want to wait sometime before clicking on the Verify button at the Retainful settings page.
Please feel free to reach us through the chat system available on the Retainful site. We would be happy to help you :-)