Are you struggling to recover sales from abandoned carts in your Shopify store? One effective solution to this problem is sending abandoned cart emails, reminding customers of the items left in their carts and encouraging them to complete the purchase. But do you know how to edit these emails to make them more effective in converting customers? In this article, we will guide you through editing abandoned cart emails in Shopify to increase conversion rates and boost sales.
Editing abandoned cart emails in Shopify is a simple process that can significantly impact your sales. Personalizing your email content and adding a call-to-action can entice customers to return to their carts and complete their purchases. In this article, we will walk you through the steps of editing the subject line, email body, and design of your abandoned cart emails to maximize their effectiveness and improve your conversion rates.
Shopify’s default abandoned cart emails may not be enough to recover all lost sales. Retainful is a Shopify app that offers features to help you recover more sales, including customizable email templates, automated email campaigns, and incentives like discounts and free shipping. With Retainful, you can improve your email strategy and track your results with powerful analytics. Plus, it integrates seamlessly with your Shopify store so that you can get started quickly. Try Retainful to take your abandoned cart email strategy to the next level and recover more sales.
In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to edit abandoned cart emails in Shopify using Retainful. We will cover everything from installing the app to creating and customizing email templates. With these tips, you can effectively recover lost sales and improve the overall customer experience on your Shopify store.
What is Shopify abandoned cart email?
Shopify abandoned cart email is a type of automated email sent to customers who added items to their online shopping cart but did not complete the checkout process. This email aims to remind customers about the products left behind and encourage them to complete the purchase. The email usually includes a personalized message, a list of abandoned items, and a call-to-action button to complete the checkout process. This type of email marketing can help increase sales and reduce the number of abandoned carts in an online store.
The abandoned cart recovery email is triggered when a customer leaves the website without completing the purchase. It can be sent out immediately or after a certain amount of time has passed. This email typically includes a list of the items left in the cart, a call-to-action button to return to the website and complete the purchase, and sometimes even an incentive such as a discount code or free shipping offer.
Get your customers back and boost sales with Retainful’s automated abandoned cart emails.
Why Use Abandoned Cart Emails in Shopify?
Abandoned cart emails are a powerful tool in Shopify for recovering lost sales. When a customer adds items to their cart but leaves the website without completing their purchase, it’s called an “abandoned cart.”
Abandoned cart emails are automated messages that are sent to these customers, reminding them of the items they left behind and encouraging them to complete their purchases. By using abandoned cart emails in Shopify, you can:
Recover Lost Sales: Abandoned cart emails can help recover lost sales by reminding customers of the items they left behind and providing an incentive to complete their purchases.
Increase Customer Engagement: By sending personalized and timely abandoned cart emails, you can build a stronger relationship with your customers and encourage them to return to your website.
Improve Customer Experience: Abandoned cart emails show customers that you care about their experience on your website. By offering assistance or support, you can improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Boost revenue: Recovering lost sales through abandoned cart emails can help boost your overall revenue and increase profitability for your business.
Easy to Set Up: Abandoned cart emails can be easily set up within Shopify. With the use of automated email marketing tools, you can create a personalized and effective abandoned cart email campaign in just a few clicks.
Analyze customer behavior: By tracking abandoned carts and analyzing customer behavior, you can identify trends and opportunities for improving your website and sales process.
Shopify Abandoned cart emails are an effective marketing strategy that can help increase sales and improve customer engagement and satisfaction.
Does Shopify Abandoned Cart emails work?
Yes, Shopify abandoned cart recovery emails can be effective in recovering lost sales. Abandoned checkout emails are triggered when customers add items to their cart but do not complete the checkout process. Shopify’s abandoned cart recovery email feature allows you to send an email to the customer reminding them of the items left in their cart and encouraging them to complete the purchase.
Research has shown that Shopify abandoned cart emails can significantly impact recovery rates. In fact, according to a study by SaleCycle, abandoned cart emails have an average open rate of 45% and a click-through rate of 21%. Additionally, the same study found that, on average, nearly a third of all abandoned cart emails result in a recovered sale.
To optimize the effectiveness of your abandoned cart emails, consider personalizing them with the customer’s name, including images of the abandoned items, and including a clear call-to-action that encourages the customer to complete their purchase. Additionally, testing different subject lines, email content, and timing can help you identify the best approach for your audience.
Also, sending Shopify Abandoned Cart emails is a great way to win back customers. You can personalize Shopify Abandoned Cart email templates, foster customer loyalty, and increase sales.
Most of the time, a customer will abandon his cart due to higher additional costs. Offering a Shopify Abandoned checkout email discount or free shipping via abandoned cart recovery emails will encourage customers to return and recover their carts.
So, yeah, Shopify Abandoned Cart emails do work wonders. All you need to do is follow a handful of Shopify Abandoned Cart email hacks & tips to increase your sales.
Ready to take your sales to the next level? Retainful email marketing app can help you get there.
Why do customers abandon shopping carts?
Cart abandonment is a common issue that online retailers face. It refers to the act of a customer adding items to their shopping cart but leaving the website before completing the purchase. Here are some reasons why customers may abandon their carts:
- High shipping costs: Customers may abandon their carts if they find the shipping costs to be too high or if they feel that they are being overcharged.
- Complicated checkout process: A complicated checkout process can also be a reason for cart abandonment. Customers may leave the site if the process takes too long or is difficult to navigate.
- Lack of Payment Options: Limited payment options can lead to cart abandonment. Customers want various payment options, including credit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, and other popular payment methods.
- Technical Issues: Technical issues such as website glitches, slow loading times, or errors during checkout can also lead to cart abandonment. Customers want a smooth and seamless shopping experience, and any technical issues can be a major turn-off.
- Lack of trust: Customers may abandon their cart if they do not trust the website or the retailer. This can be due to a lack of security features or poor customer reviews.
- Comparison shopping: Customers may use their shopping carts to compare prices and products across different websites. If they find a better deal elsewhere, they may abandon their cart on one website and make the purchase on another.
- Distractions: Customers may get distracted while shopping online and forget about their cart. They may also be interrupted by phone calls, messages or other events that take their attention away from the site.
Shopify, has cart abandonment apps to help retailers reduce cart abandonment rates. For example, Shopify’s abandoned cart email feature allows retailers to send automated emails to customers who have left items in their carts. These emails can include incentives such as discounts or free shipping to encourage customers to complete their purchases. Retailers can improve their sales and customer satisfaction by identifying and addressing the reasons for cart abandonment.
How do I recover my abandoned cart on Shopify?
To recover your cart abandonment on Shopify, you can follow these steps:
- Use Shopify’s abandoned cart recovery feature: Shopify has a built-in feature that automatically sends abandoned cart recovery emails to customers who left items in their cart but didn’t complete the purchase. To enable this feature, go to your Shopify dashboard, and click on Settings > Notifications > Abandoned checkout.
- Send a personalized abandoned cart email: In addition to Shopify’s automated emails, you can also send personalized abandoned cart emails to customers. This can be done using Shopify apps or third-party email marketing tools. Ensure to include a clear call-to-action and a discount or incentive to encourage the customer to complete their purchase.
- Retarget customers with ads: Use retargeting ads on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram to remind customers of the items they left in their cart. This can be an effective way to bring them back to your store and complete their purchase.
- Optimize your checkout process: Make sure your checkout process is user-friendly and easy to navigate. A complicated checkout process can discourage customers from completing their purchases.
Well, recovering Shopify abandoned checkouts is easy. You only need a Shopify Abandoned Cart Recovery app to send customers automated cart recovery emails.
There are many Shopify Abandoned Cart email apps that exist, but we will discuss the most popular one – Retainful.
Retainful is an all-in-one email marketing automation app. It can send automated Shopify Abandoned Cart Recovery emails even without your presence. You can edit the abandoned cart recovery email Shopify, personalize them, add discounts with the Shopify Abandoned Cart email, and do more with Retainful.
Sending just one abandoned checkout email might not be enough, so you must create an abandoned cart recovery email series. The best Shopify Abandoned Cart email practice is to send a series of abandoned cart emails, 3 or 5, as per your preference.
In Retainful, there are 3 abandoned cart recovery emails by default. Each email is unique to the
other but serves the same purpose of recovering abandoned carts.
You can use the customer journey builder to create an automated workflow and set it Live. Retainful will start sending abandoned cart recovery emails as soon as the customer abandons his cart.
This is how it goes,
- Get a Shopify Abandoned Cart Recovery app
- Build an Abandoned Cart automation workflow
- Set it Live
- Start sending emails automatically
- Send coupons & create FOMO to motivate customers
- The customer recovers his cart
You can send Abandoned Cart emails directly from your Shopify store, but having a dedicated Cart abandonment Shopify app has its own advantages.
How do I manually send an abandoned cart email in Shopify?
There are two ways to send Shopify abandoned cart emails: using Shopify’s default abandoned cart emails feature or using an abandoned cart recovery app.
Let’s see it in detail about both.
How to send abandoned cart emails in Shopify using the default feature?
- Log in to your Shopify store and click ‘Settings’. Then, navigate to ‘Checkout’-> ‘Abandoned checkouts’
2. Go to Settings –> Checkouts –> Abandoned Checkout
Here, you can choose the options that fit your preferences,
- You can select if you want your emails to be sent automatically.
- Choose whether your Guests or signed-in members should receive the cart recovery email.
- Select when you want to send the email post-abandonment
After choosing the right options, click ‘save.’
Now you have configured your abandoned cart email settings. It is time to edit your cart abandonment email template.
How do I customize abandoned checkout emails on Shopify?
- To edit or customize the abandoned checkout email template, click ‘Customize email’ in the abandoned checkout menu
You can access this email template from Settings → Notification → Abandoned checkout.
You can find your abandoned checkout email template here. On this template page, you can edit the subject line and email body using HTML and use variables to add accent colors and logos.
Once you are done, click ‘Save’
Your abandoned checkout email template will be set live, and Shopify will automatically send these abandoned checkout emails at specified intervals as the way you configured earlier.
But. like we said, sending Shopify abandoned checkout emails from the Shopify store has its limitations. You need to have coding knowledge to customize the Shopify abandoned cart recovery email templates. Also, it doesn’t have a drip email sequence.
This is why choosing a Shopify Abandoned Cart email app is safe for recovering your abandoned carts, as they offer more functionalities.
Convert more abandoned carts into sales with Retainful. Install now and start boosting revenue!
How do I add a logo to an Abandoned Cart email on Shopify?
Adding a logo to your Shopify Abandoned Cart recovery email template is easy, the process is similar to the one we explained before.
- Once you are logged in, navigate to Settings → Notifications
2. Click ‘Customize’ under customer notifications to open the ‘Customize email templates’ page.
Click ‘Choose FIle’ under the Logo section to add the logo to your Shopify abandoned checkout email template.
- Once done, click ‘Save.’
Now all the emails will be sent with your logo at specified times.
How to send a second shopify abandoned checkout email?
Sometimes, sending a single abandoned cart recovery email might not do the work. That is why you must send a series of emails to persuade customers to recover their carts.
As we said earlier, Shopify’s built-in abandoned checkout recovery system has its limitations.
To send a second abandoned checkout email, you must go through the process from step 1 again. It can be annoying.
Abandoned cart emails must flow on their own at the right time, and you cannot manually configure emails every time and send them to all your customers.
An easy fix is, Install a Shopify abandoned cart email app.
Apps like Retainful can help you create a series of emails, and it can automatically send these emails even without your presence. No manual trigger is needed.
By default, Retainful lets you send 3 emails as part of your Shopify Abandoned Cart recovery campaign. But you can add more emails as per your preference.
So, the next time you want to send a second Shopify Abandoned Cart email, Retainful can help you.
Send Abandoned Cart emails using a Shopify Abandoned Cart email app
You can install an email marketing automation plugin like Retainful to help you recover all your abandoned carts and convert them into sales.
It is an all-in-one Shopify Abandoned Cart email app that can instantly track cart abandonment and send a series of abandoned cart recovery emails at regular intervals until the customer recovers his/her cart.
There is more to Retainful, but now let us focus on how to send Shopify abandoned cart emails using it, you can find it here.
How to customize the Shopify Abandoned Cart email?
Now you know how to send Shopify abandoned checkout emails, but you might wonder if sending an email is just enough to bring customers back to the store.
No, it is not enough.
You need to customize the Shopify Abandoned Checkout email and make it look enticing to achieve desired conversions.
Without customization, your emails will not engage with the customers. Also, customization will give you a chance to add visual elements, discounts, personalization, and more. All of which can increase your conversions.
So, back to the question, how do I edit my Abandoned Cart email Shopify?
Customize Shopify Abandoned Checkout emails using Retainful
As mentioned in the previous section, we believe you have already installed Retainful in your Shopify store.
Let’s get into the simple process of customizing Shopify cart abandonment emails,
- Click ‘Automation’ in your Retainful dashboard.
2. In the Workflows window, click ‘Create Workflows’
3. Create Workflows page will be displayed. Click ‘Abandoned cart recovery with dynamic coupon’ to open that particular workflow.
4. Enter a name for your Shopify cart abandonment recovery workflow and click ‘Continue’.
Your workflow will be created, and you will be redirected to the Workflow builder page where you can customize Shopify abandoned cart email.
Your workflow builder page should look like this.
5. By default, there will be 3 emails in your Shopify abandoned cart automation workflow. You can add more as per your preference.
To customize the Shopify cart abandonment email, click on Email 1.
Once you click on Email 1, the corresponding email template menu will be displayed on the right.
6. You can edit the subject line and preview text in the template menu. If you want to use a different template, click ‘change template’
You can choose the template you want from the list and click ‘Use this template.’
Once you click ‘Use this template,’ you will be redirected to the email editor page where you can customize the template.
7. If you are satisfied with the existing given template, you can directly access the Drag & drop email editor by clicking ‘Configure email content’
This is what your email editor page will look like,
How do you edit a Shopify Abandoned Checkout email?
Drag & Drop email editor
Customizing Shopify Abandoned Checkout email is simple using the Drag & drop email editor.
You can find the Shopify Abandoned Checkout email template in the middle and the editing options on the right.
Let us see the available editing options in the email editor, and we’ll show you how to use them in your templates via video
Under this menu, you can find Section, Elements & Store element options.
- Section – If you want to segment your abandoned cart email content with columns, you can find it here.
- Elements – Store Logo, CTA, and Social sharing buttons are all crucial for conversions. You can add these elements to your abandoned cart emails by dragging and dropping them from this menu.
- Store Element – Address, unsubscribe buttons, and abandoned product list should be added to an abandoned cart email to increase the chances of conversion. Add them to the Shopify abandoned checkout email template from this menu.
You can see how easy it is, all you have to do is just drag & drop it on your abandoned cart email template and you are good to go.
Under the Styles section, you can change the appearances corresponding to the respective blocks.
- Dimension – You can alter the Margin and Padding dimensions of the selected blocks.
- Typography – Change the Font size, color, size, line spacing, and alignment of the text.
- Decorations – You can change the background color, size, and Border dimensions here.
- Icons – If you have included social media icons in your abandoned checkout email template, you can change the color of those icons using this option.
These are the options available in the Drag & drop email editor. You can click on the options you want and see the changes happening on the abandoned cart email template in real time. You can use these to customize Shopify abandoned cart emails and increase conversion.
Wait, there’s more,
You can find these icons on the top left corner of the email editor, select anyone to check how your Shopify abandoned cart email templates will look on other devices.
Once you are done with the customization, you can preview the abandoned cart email and click ‘Save’ to save the template.
Click ‘Close’ to exit the editor.
Similarly, you can use these steps to edit all your abandoned cart emails in your workflow to make it more persuasive.
That’s it; you have successfully customized your Shopify cart abandonment emails, which will be sent automatically to the customer as part of your workflow.
To set the campaign live, click ‘Start Workflow’ and keep an eye on the analytics to see how your Shopify abandoned checkout emails perform.
How do I improve my shopify abandoned cart email?
Best Shopify abandoned cart emails are the one that successfully prompts the customers to return back to the cart and finish the purchase.
To craft the best-abandoned cart emails in Shopify, follow these best practices.
- Choose the right Shopify abandoned cart recovery app: Many apps for Shopify can help you send abandoned cart recovery emails. Look for one that fits your needs and budget and has features like automation, email customization, and reporting.
- Write clear and compelling subject lines: Your subject line is the first thing the recipient will see, so make it catchy and informative. Use language that grabs attention and conveys the value of your email.
- Keep your email copy concise: People are busy and may not have time to read a lengthy email. Keep your message short and to the point, highlighting the benefits of returning to complete their purchase.
- Use dynamic and attractive calls to action (CTAs): A clear and prominent CTA is crucial for encouraging action. Use dynamic text like “Don’t miss out on this deal” or “Claim your discount now” to make your CTA more appealing.
- Choose the best time to send your emails: Timing is important when sending abandoned checkout emails. Consider factors like time zone, previous customer behavior, and industry norms to determine the best time to send.
- Include product images in your emails: Visuals can be powerful in reminding customers of what they left in their cart. Use high-quality product images to help re-engage their interest and make them want to complete their purchase.
- Offer a Shopify abandoned cart email discount to increase conversions: Discounts are a great incentive for customers to return and complete their purchases. Ensure the discount is compelling and exclusive to encourage customers to act.
Please use these tips the next time you create your Shopify abandoned checkout emails and increase their open rates & conversions.
Launch your abandoned cart recovery email campaign in minutes with Retainful and win back your lost sales.
Sending Shopify abandoned Checkout emails is the easiest way to recover abandoned carts. But these emails must be enticing enough to convince and convert the customers.
That’s why we showed you in this article how to customize Shopify abandoned cart emails using Shopify and Retainful. Customize Shopify abandoned checkout emails using the steps discussed in this article and make your emails look visually pleasing.
Abandoned cart email should include a clear and compelling subject line, an eye-catching image of the product, a friendly message reminding the customer about their abandoned cart, a call to action to complete their purchase, and a personalized discount or offer to incentivize them to come back and complete their purchase.
You can send multiple abandoned cart emails on Shopify using the Retainful app. Retainful allows you to send a series of up to three abandoned cart recovery emails to remind customers about their abandoned cart and encourage them to complete their purchase.
You can schedule when your abandoned cart email is sent on Shopify using the Retainful app. Retainful allows you to set up a delay time for your abandoned cart recovery emails so they are sent at the best time for your customers based on their time zone and behavior.
To improve your abandoned cart email, make sure it is personalized and relevant to the customer, include a clear and compelling call to action, use eye-catching images of the product, and offer a personalized discount or offer to incentivize them to complete their purchase. You can also experiment with different subject lines, email templates, and content to see what works best for your customers.
To reduce cart abandonment on Shopify, make sure your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate, optimize your checkout process to make it fast and easy for customers to complete their purchase, offer free shipping or a free gift with purchase, use exit-intent pop-ups and email capture forms to capture customer contact information, and send personalized abandoned cart recovery emails using Retainful app.